Free support for carers
Carer Gateway is a national support service funded by the Australian Government. It provides free services for anyone caring for a family member or friend who is living with a disability, a long-term medical condition, mental illness, alcohol or drug dependency or someone who is frail due to age.
A carer is someone who helps a family member or friend with daily tasks such as emotional support, personal care or administering medicine. Many people don’t see themselves as a carer – just a mum, dad, sister, son, spouse or friend – but anybody can be a carer at any time, and any age.
Not all caring looks the same. Some carers provide care all the time, while some only provide care occasionally. Some carers may share their caring responsibilities with a family member or another person close to them.
In South West Sydney and Nepean blue Mountains Wellways delivers Carer Gateway services. These services include:
- Planning – To get the support and services to meet the carer’s needs
- Counselling – A private space to talk about the joys and challenges of being a carer
- Support groups – A place to share stories, knowledge and experiences with other carers
- Coaching – to help set and achieve goals for the future
- Practical assistance – Access to tools to assist in the caring role
- Planned and emergency respite – Help at short notice or space to recharge
Through accessing supports and services carers can ensure they are in the best emotional space for their important caring role.
Support for carers is just a phone call away.
Carers can register for Carer Gateway by calling 1800 422 737. After an initial assessment and planning session a dedicated Carer Support Worker will talk them through the range of supports available and put a personalised plan in place to match their individual needs.
The Wellways Carer Gateway team is available 6am-10pm, 7 days a week. Emergency respite is available 24/7.
Visit www.carergateway.gov.au for more information.